Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Paleosaurus

So lately, there has been lots of buzz about Paleo and Crossfit.  Eating Paleo is essentially eating like a caveman/woman.  The diet includes local/unprocessed meats, seafood, vegetables and moderate amounts of fruits and nuts.  Of course, everyone's definition of paleo is a bit different.  In my opinion, you only live once so I try and live by the 80 20 rule.  Eat paleo 80% of the time and eat non paleo noms the rest of the time. 

As for crossfit, it is defined as a strength and conditioning program that is "constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement."  Initially, I was intimidated being surrounded by the heavy weights and half naked bods.  With time though, I began to fall in love with the crossfit community.  Everyone is so supportive and encouraging - and the eye candy isn't bad either.  The workouts are 1 hour long.  This hour includes a warm up, the actual workout, and the cool down.  The actual workout is 20 minutes max usually.  I love that all the movements can be modified - so honestly anyone can do crossfit.  We have people who are elite athletes and compete at the Crossfit Games as well as people who can't do any of the movements as prescribed.  But that's fine, because all workouts are adaptable to your fitness level.  To be honest, I have never sweated more/worked out harder in such a short amount of time.  Previously, I would go to the gym and work out for an hour doing boring cardio and some weights.  Now, I workout for less time but see greater results.  AND if I don't show up to a few classes someone from crossfit will keep me accountable and say they hope to see me at the next class.  All in all, I have been doing crossfit for over a year now and have no plans of stopping any time soon.  The community is awesome and the workouts really are the most bang for your buck!

No comments:

Post a Comment